Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mexican Immigration - What Really Happens

I have run into all kinds of people with all kinds of stories about Servicios Migritorios(Mexican Immigration). Last night I ran into a guy whom I know to be pretty knowlegeable about Mexican predicaments, but he really showed me the truth when he said, "I am tired of always being late and all the other problems with renewing my FM3, I ran into a guy who went the Citizenship route and now he's got papers and everything. I think I'm going to do the same thing he did." I tried not to burst out laughing. You see, that is really pretty funny to me, because I am the only person that I know of who actually finished with the Servicios Migritorio part of the process. From my own experience: this is what happens.
1. FM3 renewed each year on time with no changes for five years.
2. At the end of the five years, all paperwork goes to Mexico City for a year. Yes for a year you have no paperwork which makes Airport Travel inside of Mexico kind of tricky, Still carry your US Passport with the FM3 Stamps in it. Remember to have them stamp your passport at Sevicios Migratorios during the renewals.
3. If all goes well after a year then the FM2 (the Grey Book) comes. It too must be renewed every year for five years. Same paperwork hassle as FM3.
4. At the end of this five years, all paperwork again goes to Mexico City for a year. No immigration documents during that year. Remember about traveling within Mexico. Always have your US passport with the FM2 renewal Stamps in it.
5. You go to the Immigration office one day to complain about something else and the Secretaries are all smiles and you really start to worry a little because this is very unusual. Then one says, "Your time has come", like that Queen Song, "Shivers down my spine - body's aching all the time. Goodbye everybody - I have to go - gotta leave you all behind and face the dawn." She comes up to me carrying some papers like they were a birthday cake with lighted candles on it. I nearly burst into tears when she hands me the final paperwork which is the FM2 Book with all the signed renewals. A formal letter welcoming me and my family to Mexico signed by the Director General of the Secretary of Gobernacion. And a more technical letter saying that you have completed all the requirements for permanent residencey in Mexico. That's it. That is all you get. But the funniest part of the whole process is when they tell you that you still can't own property in your own name in Baja. And you still can't vote or run for political office. But you can do nearly anything else and you never have to go back to immigration, except if you change addresses. They always have to have your current address.
And I almost forgot. If you want Citizenship(They call in Naturalization), then you have to start the process all over again with a different Ministry(They call it the Secretary of Relations Exteriors). But you can't start that process until you complete the process that took me 14 years to complete. I would like to know what happens before I start this new process myself. I don't want to be first this time. I think I will let someone else make all the mistakes before I try it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment